Posey County Health Department
126 East Third Street Room 20
Mount Vernon, IN 47620 Click here for a map and driving directions to the Health Department.
Telephone: (812) 838-1328 Fax: (812) 838-8561
Monday – Friday 8:00am to 4:00pm
Closed for lunch from 12:00-1:00pm
Community Health & Wellness Events:
Free Walk-In Children’s Immunization Clinics:
Every Thursday of the month from 8:00-11:30AM and 1:00-3:30PM unless otherwise posted.
These clinics are for:
- Children that do not have health insurance
- Children that have Medicaid
- Children that are underinsured (insurance that does not cover vaccines)
- Children that are American Indian or Alaskan Native
Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian. (The child may come with another adult if the parent/guardian dates & signs a letter naming the adult and child, giving the adult permission to bring the child). A complete shot record showing all immunizations since birth is required. Children should wear short sleeves and eat before coming to the clinic. Please be prepared to wait. Call the Health Department with questions at 812-838-1328.
*Visit the Public Health Nurse page for more immunization information.*
2017 Holiday Closings
- January 2nd – New Year’s Day
- January 16th – Martin Luther King Day
- April 14th – Good Friday
- May 29th – Memorial Day
- July 4th – Independence Day
- September 4th – Labor Day
- October 9th – Columbus Day
- November 10th – Veteran’s Day (observed)
- November 23rd – Thanksgiving Day
- November 24th – Thanksgiving Day
- December 25th – Christmas Day
- December 26th – Christmas Day
Our mission is to work with our community partners to:
- Protect against and prevent the spread of disease
- Protect against environmental hazards
- Promote and encourage healthy lifestyle behaviors
- Respond to disasters and assure preparedness to achieve and maintain the best public health for our community
- Tracking and recording all births and deaths that occur in Posey County.
- Inspecting all food establishments to ensure safe food handling regulations and best practices are met.
- Inspecting all residential onsite waste treatment systems to ensure state and local regulations and best practices are met.
- Investigating and mitigating certain environmental health issues that could cause illness or harm to county residents.
- Providing immunizations for current and emerging disease.
- Providing education to encourage and promote healthy lifestyle behaviors.
- Investigating and reporting communicable diseases as required by state and federal regulations.
- Planning, preparing for and mitigating any natural or manmade threat to the public’s health.
- Free STD screening, testing and treatment (call for appointment)
- FREE HIV TESTING – 2nd Wednesday of month, 10 am – 2:30 pm
- FREE HEP C TESTING (By Request) – 2nd Wednesday of month, 10 am – 2:30 pm
- FREE PREGNANCY TESTING – Call For Appointment
Posey County Health Department Staff
Kyle Rapp, MD, Health Officer
Cheryl Reich, Vital Records Registrar
David Fleming, Environmental Sanitarian
Martye Fitts, RN, Public Health Nurse
Denny Schaffer, Administrator
David Fleming, Emergency Preparedness Coordinator
Posey County Board of Health Members
David Oyler – Chair
Joseph Lee, MD – Vice-Chair
Joseph Rohlfer, R.Ph.
James Culley, R.Ph.
Suzanne Buchanan, RN, BSN
William Sutton, MD
2017 Board of Health Meetings
- April 12th @ 6:00pm at the Health Department
Death Certificate Request