Building Commissioner’s Office Commissioner: Ed Batteiger
Administrative Assistant: Alicia Denning
Location: 126 East Third St. Room 228- Mt. Vernon
Hours of Business: Monday thru Friday 8:00-4:00
CLOSED (12:00 pm- 1:00 pm)


The Building Department is responsible for issuing construction permits within the limits of Posey County. (Exceptions: city limits of Mt. Vernon, New Harmony, Poseyville, and Griffin.) This process typically includes permit issuance and inspections from ground up. The department is also responsible for the adoption and amendment process of codes relating to plumbing, electrical, mechanical, and structural for both new and some existing construction, as well as the enforcement of these codes. The Building Department responds to legitimate complaints regarding abandoned vehicles, weed control, unsafe buildings, and nuisance complaints.

The Building Department is responsible for the inspection of all residential and commercial structures built or remodeled within Posey County (except the cities of Mt. Vernon, Poseyville, New Harmony, and Griffin.)

For more information you can request a copy of the State Ordinance that defines the rules that govern our office.


Download permit in PDF form, print it out and fill out by hand



  • (Coming Soon)

Required Inspections

Soil & Footings

A soil evaluation may be required by the building official. Footings after forms and rebar.

Foundation Wall

After all forms or block and all rebar is in place, before pouring concrete or grout. Required for daylight and full basements before backfill, damp proofing, and insulation.

Underground Electrical

Insulation of all conducts is to be approved before cover, including branch circuits, feeders and service entrance cables.

Underground Plumbing

All underground plumbing is to be tested and approved before cover.

Concrete Slab

After all underground electrical and plumbing under the slab have been approved, after gravel backfill is compacted, forms and all other embedded items are installed.

Rough Plumbing

After all rough interior is complete. Water supply lines shall be tested with working water pressure or 100 psi air pressure, drain waste amd vent lines shall be tested by filling with water or 5 psi air pressure. Gas lines shall be tested. *Forms provided in DOCUMENTS.

Rough-In Electrical

After all rough-in work is complete. All metal junction boxes are to be properly grounded and equipment grounds are mechanically fastened before inspection.

Rough-In Mechanical

After all rough mechanical work is complete, including ducts for supply and return air, bath fans, range hood fans, dryers and chimneys for heating appliances.

Rough Framing

After all rough framing is complete and after the rough plumbing and mechanical works is approved. Fire stopping shall be completed including electrical, plumbing, and mechanical penetrations through the top and bottom wall plates.

Insulation & Caulking

After all batt insulation and caulking top and bottom plates of exterior walls including garage and house separation fire wall. Blown in attic insulation can be verified at the final inspection.

Final Inspection

To be made after finish grading and the building is complete and ready for occupancy. Electric meters will be inspected at this time. A FINAL INSPECTION AND CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY IS REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY. YOU CANNOT MOVE IN WITHOUT ONE -- THAT INCLUDES BOTH RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL.

Frequently Asked Questions

What Do I Need for a Permit Application?

Before a building permit application is issued, you may need to provide some or all of the information below. First stop is the Area Plan Commission to acquire an Improvement Location Permit. If you are doing improvements without changing your present foot print of the building, the Improvement Location Permit is not necessary. (Check with the Area Plan Commission.) Application forms must be filled out completely and to the best of the applicant's knowledge. Applications may be obtained in our office or on our website. Septic/ Sewer Permits from the County is obtained from the Health Department. Site Plan- an exact location of the structure or improvement on the property is required (showing property lines, distances, existing structures, etc. Construction Plans- One set of plans of improvements including cross section details. Drawing size can be 9 x 11 or 11 x 17. State Release - if applicable

How Do I Schedule an Inspection?

When scheduling an Inspection, call 812-838-1324. Please be sure to call and schedule atleast 24 hours in advance if possible. When you go to schedule an inspection you will need to provide the following information: Site address Owner Name Specific work to be inspected Permit number (if available)